American Red Cross Certification Classes
Lifeguard Review/Re-Certification Courses
Lifeguard Instructor Training Course (LGI)
Trains lifeguarding instructor candidates to teach American Red Cross Lifeguarding, Lifeguarding Blended Learning, Shallow Water Lifeguarding, Aquatic Attraction Lifeguarding, Waterpark Skills, CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Bloodborne Pathogens Training. Note: To teach Waterfront Skills, Lifeguarding instructors must possess a basic-level Waterfront Skills certificate. This is a blended learning course, which combines online assignments with in-class sessions. Instructions to access the online assignments will be emailed to participants prior to the first day of class
Next Course: SPRING 2019
- Must be at least 17 years old
- Possess a current Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED
- Complete the Online Session for the Lifeguarding Instructor course
- Complete the precourse session
Summer 2018 Lifeguard Training Courses
The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. The blended learning program offers students the ability to combine online learning assignments (approximately 7 hours) with in-class skill sessions (approximately 20 hours.)
Next Course: July 2018
Monday, 7/23: 3pm-8pm
Tuesday, 7/24: 3pm-8pm
Wednesday, 7/25: 3pm-8pm
Thursday, 7/26: 3pm-8pm
*Blended Learning Courses require a strict deadline due to the online work required for the in-class sessions. Participants will be emailed instructions to access the online work approximately 1 week before the first class. Participants Must attend all days of class
Registration is available online.
Location: Dillon Gym
Course Cost: $350
Successful completion of the course will result in a 2 year certification in Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED.
The Lifeguarding Pre-test is required for all Lifeguard Training and Re-certification courses. It will take place at the 1st in-class session. Participants must pass all 3 sections, in order to move on to the remainder of the course. Those who do not pass will receive a partial refund.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds: Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.